Tuesday, September 24, 2013

'round Midnight

Hey keyboard. Its been a while...I haven't known how to bring this up but I cant take it anymore and I have to ask...what happened between you and me? We used to be so close in the MSN days. I feel like all this texting has distanced us. Before I used to be with you all the time so it was a lot easier for us to write things together. I’m not saying I cant write things with my phone, but its not as easy and fluid as it was with us. We were such a good team. I want us back. I want everything to be the way it was again. You and me and MSN and notepad. Remember notepad? And your beautiful arrow keys...when was the last time anyone touched you there. Now I cant even see the letters “WASD”. Back in the good days I used to go to town on your arrow keys. Remember that? And I would flick your space bar just like this in the Double Dragon days. Now look at us. I’ve let this younger generation come between us. I miss you. I miss the shortcut buttons you had for “volume” and “internet” and “search” that didn’t do anything. Hhaha we would stay up all night and I could never get them to work. I even miss the yellow hue your mother took on near the end of her life. She was beautiful. With the backwards “L” shaped return button and those deep keys...they don't rattle like that anymore, I can tell you that. I used to make your mother purr if I typed on her just right. Now the keyboards are all touch screen. They don’t make a sound. You cant even feel them. How can you have a relationship without feelings? They disappear until you need them and just pop up for you to use them like some cheap, desperate whore making a booty call. I don’t want that. I want you. We can get a desk together and you can have your own permanent space, and you can be as loud as you want. I need that. I need that feedback. I need that response from you....I need you keyboard....I need you to listen to me when I want to pour out about my day. Not the cheap embrace of a touch screen keyboard on a tiny screen on the subway. You. Your keys and warm rattle in the privacy of my own room, where we can stay up until three in the morning again, just like old times. But you’re a dying breed...and its getting harder and harder to hang on. I’m worried that by the time I’m old you wont be around anymore, and that scares me. I’m sorry I haven’t given as much attention to you over the past couple of years. I’m sorry I let it get to this. I love you keyboard. You’ve always been there for me to listen without judgement and I love you for that. You’re the best friend I ever had and Ill never let you go again. 

-Alex

1 comment:

  1. Man, this was fuckin deep. I'm writing this reply on my phone and it makes me all teary eyed. I'm gonna go type a bunch of shit on my computer now.

    ReplyDelete